Posted by admin on August 10, 2015
in At Risk
Common Causes for Kids At Risk
- Rebellious Student
- Lack of Yiras-Shomeiyim (Y-S) and any meaningful relationship toward Ha’
- Lack of respect and Hakoras-HaTov toward Parents
- Lack of respect for one’s Rebbe, Elders, and School Authorities
- Abusive Behavior: Bullying, Alcoholism, Drugs, …
- Adversely Influencing friends and others to join in their bad behavior
- Disruptive Behavior: Chilul-Shabbos, Drugs, Drinking, Smoking, …
- Regular Melamdim
- Too much focus on how much is covered and not enough on Y-S with middos tovas.
- Yiras-Shomeiyim (Y-S) is not really taught today. At best, it is given lip service.
- Need Melamdim who really are Y-S and not just speak the part ( & no obscene abuse).
- Watching a Melamed when davening outside of school will tell you a lot of who he really is.
- You can’t give it (Y-S & Hashkofa) if you don’t have it!
- Melamed must be totally honest. Hypocrisy can destroy a student.
- Children pick up when the Melamed isn’t real. (even if only emotionally)
- Must teach the emotion along with the motion of all mitzvahs; No disconnect!
- No calls or texts/emails in class or Shul! (R.H. Rabbi Shmuel Kamenetsky)
- Some Parents
- Want children but not the job of raising them.
- Busy with themselves and everyone else; except their own children.
- Lack of personal time and attention for each child.
- Putting emphasis on latest fashion and electronics sends wrong message.
- No real respect (esp. in business) for Rabbonim and Halacha.
- Not teaching relationship building to children. Everything is reduced to money.
- No calls or texts/emails in Shul! (R.H. Rabbi Shmuel Kamenetsky)